Dundee 0
Dundee United 3
League Cup (Final)

0 - 3
Dundee Utd 

League Cup (Final)
Saturday, December 6th, 1980
Dens Park
Attendance: 24,446
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Davie Dodds (45)
Paul Sturrock (60)
Paul Sturrock (82)

Team Managers
Donald Mackay
Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
1. Bobby Geddes
2. Les Barr
3. Erich Schaedler
4. Cammy Fraser
5. Bobby Glennie
6. George McGeachie
7. Peter Mackie
8. Ray Stephen
9. Eric Sinclair
10. Billy Williamson
11. Andy Geddes
Hamish McAlpine .1
John Holt .2
Paul Hegarty .3
Frank Kopel .4
Dave Narey .5
Iain Phillip .6
Eamonn Bannon .7
Paul Sturrock .8
Graeme Payne .9
Willie Pettigrew .10
Davie Dodds .11

12. Brian Scrimgeour
14. Jim Shirra
Derek Stark .12
Billy Kirkwood .14

Brian Scrimgeour for Andy Geddes
Jim Shirra for Bobby Geddes

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

R. B. Valentine (Dundee) (Referee)
J. Robertson (Bonnyrigg) & W. Crichton (Banchory) (Assistants)

Match Report

The League Cup final sides warm up for the greatest Dundee-Dundee United derby of them all, on a Dens Park which has a light dusting of snow.

Brian Scrimgeour replaces Jim Murphy on the Dundee bench and the side is the one which has won the last two league games.

Graeme Payne comes into the United side in place of Derek Addison, who is not in the final 13.

The sides, led by Donald Mackay and Jim McLean, walk behind a pipe band to the halfway line to meet dignatories and greet their fans.

Glennie chooses to attack the Provost Road goal.

Hegarty fouls Sinclair 10 yards outside the penalty box and McAlpine holds Fraser's free kick.

The ground does not appear full, but every move is cheered loudly.

Mackie breaks on the right and crosses for Stephen, who is just off side.

A long throw-in by Bannon needs just a touch as it bounces around in the Dundee penalty area, but a defender's boot makes contact first.

More snow falls five minutes after the start and the surface could be greasy in spots.

A Payne-Sturrock one-two leads to a Payne cross. The ball bounces in front of goal and goes to Bannon, whose shot is blocked.

A bad pass by Williamson puts Dundee in trouble. Sturrock chases and cuts back to Dodds, whose lob goes wide.

United are trying hard to keep up the pressure. The ball skills of Payne and the pace of Sturrock are a constant threat.

Geddes leaves his line to throw himself at the feet of Dodds, who wins the ball. The 'keeper clutches a Dodds header safely under the bar following a Sturrock cross.

Hamish McAlpine dashes from his penalty area to put the ball away from an in rushing Dundee forward. He is glad to see the ball go safely to a team-mate.

Andy Geddes takes a knock in clash with a Sturrock. He sits holding his ankle as the referee signals play on.

Payne produces another gem of a cross. Pettigrew does not connect properly and Hegarty's left-foot effort is blocked.

Dundee have the ball in the net in 22 minutes, but it is no goal. There is a high cross from Schaedler and Sinclair and McAlpine go up together. McAlpine appears to have the ball in his hands when Sinclair heads into the net.

The referee has no hesitation in awarding a free kick. McGeachie whips the ball away when Dodds is about to shoot from a fine position. A Sturrock shot from a Pettigrew cross is yards off target.

United are making many more openings than their rivals. Bannon is spoken to by the referee after a foul on Barr.

A McGeachie foul on Sturrock five yards outside the box brings Bannon into the firing line. His direct shot is held by Geddes at the second attempt. Dodds has a good chance on the 18-yard line, but Glennie knocks the ball to safety.

Barr appears to suffer a strain as he goes for a cross in the penalty area, but he is soon showing nifty foot work in clearing from Dodds.

A flurry of Dundee attacking begins when a mis-hit clearance by a defender gives them an unexpected corner. Fraser's shot whizzes high past goal.

A Williamson cracker goes past the post low and a Sinclair cross is scrambled clear.

United hit back and a Payne corner is cleared by McGeachie.

Seconds before half-time, United go in front. A Sturrock cross which is headed down by DODDS and bounces high into the net.

Half-time Dundee 0, - Dundee United 1.

Reflections Early on - Dundee were hemmed in by the wind and United's tight midfield marking. The Dark Blues were more prone to make mistakes. Despite United's grip, Dundee were capable of rattling them, as Sinclair's disallowed goal showed. Towards the end of the half Dundee were applying the pressure.

Second Half

A cros- by Sturrock bounces across goal and another is sent for a corner by Glennie.

A quick free kick by Bannon after a foul for pushing by Glennie does not come off.

Payne decides to shoot from 18 yards when he has Dodds free on his right. Geddes is right on the spot to deal with the shot.

A Bannon corner goes to Hegarty at the near post and the skipper's header goes wide.

Sturrock needs treatment after a foul by Glennie. Dundee send on Shirra for Williamson.

Stephen goes through on a return pass from Sinclair.

When he clears all the defenders in his path McAlpine dives at his feet.

The youngster crashes and there are Dundee demands for a penalty. Referee Valentine awards a corner kick.

Pettigrew breaks like a flash of lightning and gets into the penalty box. McGeachie steps in to divert his thunderbolt.

In 60 minutes, a Payne corner is headed against the bar by Hegarty. The ball drops right in front of STURROCK, who heads in from very close range.

Dundee send on Scrimgeour for Geddes

The Dark Blues refuse to give up. A Sinclair shot is not far off target. Shirra dives to get hisnhead to a Scrimgeour cross, but there is no power in the effort.

Stephen comes as close as Dundee have managed yet when he turns in a low cross from Scrimgeour. McAlpine is down smartly to hold the ball.

Dodds is again u as he beats a Phillip cross that Geddes does well to save.

The ball disappears into the crowd behind the United goal and a posse of police go in. The ball comes out and play begins.

United clinch it in 82 minutes. There is a Payne corner from the right, Dodds heads in and Geddes pushed the ball in front of STURROCK who can't miss.

Final - Dundee 0, Dundee United 3.

Summing Up - It's a winter wonderland for United and their enraptured fans massed at the Provost Road end. They won the vital battle in midfield and their defence ensured a paltry supply of real chances for the Dundee strikers. Dundee never gave in but were unable to break down.


After the game the managers shake hands on the track.

United go to receive their trophy while Dundee go to the other side of the pitch to salute their supporters.

Paul Hegarty kisses the cup in the directors' box.

Hundreds of Dundee supporters remained in the south enclosure, chanting to see their favourites. Dundee manager Donald Mackay ran on to meet them and was greeted with loud applause.

Match report written by The Sporting Post

Squad Statistics (as at December 6th, 1980)

1980-81 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)20 28 - 29 -
Les Barr28 26 - 911
Andy Geddes21 3 - 3 -
Bobby Glennie23 28 - 1292
George McGeachie21 242815
Erich Schaedler21 25 - 1022
Cammy Fraser23 206206
Peter Mackie22 263495
Billy Williamson28 1919923
Eric Sinclair26 261220270
Ray Stephen17 8585
Brian Scrimgeour (sub)21 91131
Jim Shirra (sub)30 24412619

League Table (as at December 6th, 1980)

No league table has been added for this season.