Aberdeen 0
Dundee 1
League Cup (Quarter Final 2nd Leg)


0 - 1


League Cup (Quarter Final 2nd Leg)
Wednesday, October 29th, 1980
Pittodrie Stadium
Attendance: 14,925
7:30 PM Kick-off

None. Cammy Fraser (85)

Team Managers
Alex Ferguson Donald Mackay

Starting Eleven
1. Jim Leighton
2. Stuart Kennedy
3. Doug Rougvie
4. Doug Bell
5. Alex McLeish
6. Willie Miller
7. Gordon Strachan
8. Steve Cowan
9. Mark McGhee
10. Drew Jarvie
11. Ian Scanlon
Bobby Geddes .1
Les Barr .2
Erich Schaedler .3
Cammy Fraser .4
Bobby Glennie .5
Stewart MacLaren .6
Jimmy Murphy .7
George McGeachie .8
Eric Sinclair .9
Peter Mackie .10
Billy Williamson .11

12. Andy Watson
14. Duncan Davidson
Jim Shirra .12
John Fletcher .14

Andy Watson for Stuart Kennedy (37) John Fletcher for Peter Mackie (66)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

T. Muirhead (Stenhousemuir) (Referee)
R. J. Stewart (Morayshire) & E. H. Wilson (Rosyth) (Assistants)

Match Report

Cammy Fraser proved he was worth every penny of the £60,000 Dundee paid Hearts! month when he scored the only goal five minutes from the end of a titanic League Cup tie at Pittodrie last night to put Dundee into the semi-finals. The 1-0 aggregate win over Premier League champions Aberdeen was no fluke.

Right from the start Dundee showed no inferiority complex against last season's beaten final and at half-time were unlucky not to be at least a goal in front.

After the interval, Dundee's defence, in which McLaren was outstanding, had to be at their best to keep Aberdeen out and increase their run of games to six without losing a goal.

The Dens Parkers were equal to the occasion against an Aberdeen side who were never allowed to settle and play with their usual authority.

And with this magnificent victory, Dundee can now go into today's draw confident that with form like last night's they need fear no one.

Aberdeen are unchanged while Dundee make two changes, Schaedler replacing McKimmie and Mackie for Fleming.

Dundee started determinedly and might have gone ahead after only two minutes when Miller sclaffed a Murphy cross for a corner and from Murphy's corner kick McGeechie out jumped the Dons defence at the far post to head the ball back into goal where only a desperate save by Leighton prevented Sinclair from scoring.

Aberdeen's reply was a Cowan header which hit the top of the bar and went over.

Dundee were attacking at every opportunity and their quick tackling was definitely upsetting their Premier League opponents.

In 16 minutes Dundee had a chance when Murphy fought his way to the bye-line but failed to find Sinclair, who was in good position for his cut-back.

Dundee's little winger was creating problems for Aberdeen with good positional play on either flank and when Schaedler found him down the left un marked, only Murphy's final pass let him down again.

In 21 minutes Aberdeen showed they were in the game when Rougvie forced Geddes to a full-length save at the near post after a defensive slip but Dundee continued to look the likelier side.

Three minutes later Murphy blocked a McLeish clearance to put himself clean through on goal but then shot wide of target from 16 yards and another opportunity slipped away.

In 29 minutes Murphy actually had the ball in the Aberdeen net but the goal was disallowed, apparently for offside.

The hectic pace continued and in 35 minutes wee Gordon Strachan kept Aberdeen's goal intact when he was back in his own six yard line to foil a certain goal when he jumped in front of McGeachie to head the ball clear from a Murphy cross.

In 37 minutes Andy Watson replaced Kennedy who limped off the field, and five minutes from the interval that man Murphy again almost got Dundee the goal they deserved when he beat McLeash for pace to a Sinclair header but shot narrowly past the far post.

Within three minutes of the resumption it took a brave save by Geddes at Cowans feet to prevent the Dons going ahead.

Bell followed this up with a drive just inches over and Aberdeen had shown more danger in a couple of minutes of this half than they had in the entire first period.

Fraser revived Dundee with a shot which was deflected for a corner and from Murphy's kick McGeachie headed just wide of the post.

The hectic pace of the first half continued as McGhee sent a screamer which was deflected inches over the bar and al though Dundee defence were now going through the mill they showed no signs of cracking and in McLaren had the outstanding player on the field.

In 66 minutes Dundee brought on Fletcher for the injured Mackie and four minutes later only a magnificent Geddes save from a McGhee header kept the scores level.

Two minutes later, as play became towsier, Cowan was lucky not to be booked for throwing the ball away in disgust.

Geddes had a good save from Scanlon at his near post as Aberdeen threatened to take command but still not showing the authority we have come to expect from them.

Dundee, without as much of the ball up front as they had earlier, kept plugging away, and with five minutes to go stunned the 12,000 crowd by taking the lead through Cammy Fraser.

A Schaedler cross was headed out of defence to the former Hearts man, who lashed a left foot shot for goal which Leighton got his hands to but couldn't keep out as the ball entered the net off the near post.

With Aberdeen desperately trying to take the game into extra time it was Leighton in the Dons goal who had to save again from Murphy.

A great win for Dundee. They had eleven heroes last night with McLaren, Geddes and Murphy contributing just that little bit extra.

Match report written by The Courier

Squad Statistics (as at October 29th, 1980)

1980-81 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)20 20 - 21 -
Bobby Glennie23 20 - 1212
Stewart MacLaren27 1817710
Les Barr27 18 - 831
George McGeachie21 171744
Erich Schaedler21 17 - 942
Billy Williamson28 11 - 9122
Jimmy Murphy24 191807
Peter Mackie22 191423
Cammy Fraser23 124124
Eric Sinclair26 18719465
John Fletcher (sub)27 114355

League Table (as at October 29th, 1980)

No league table has been added for this season.