Arbroath 0
Dundee 3
League Cup (1st Round 2nd Leg)


0 - 3


League Cup (1st Round 2nd Leg)
Saturday, August 30th, 1980
Gayfield Park
Attendance: 2,855
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Eric Sinclair (25)
John Fletcher (54)
Stewart MacLaren (79)

Team Managers
Ian Stewart Donald Mackay

Starting Eleven
1. John Lister
2. Brian Docherty
3. Derek Rylance
4. Charlie Downie
5. Alan McKenzie
6. Billy Gavine
7. Stewart Forsyth
8. Lyndsay Kydd
9. Steve Mylles
10. Graham Shaw
11. Tommy Yule
Bobby Geddes .1
George McGeachie .2
Erich Schaedler .3
Stewart MacLaren .4
Bobby Glennie .5
Jim Shirra .6
Peter Mackie .7
Ian Fleming .8
Eric Sinclair .9
Jocky Scott .10
John Fletcher .11

12. Jim Donald
14. T. Mylles
Jimmy Murphy .12
Les Barr .14

T. Myles for Billy Gavine (46)
Tommy Yule for Jim Donald (51)
Jimmy Murphy for Eric Sinclair (50)
Les Barr for Peter Mackie (82)

Alan McKenzie (32) Ian Fleming (4)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

J. R. S. Renton (Cowdenbeath) (Referee)

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Sporting Post .

Arbroath opened strongly and Forsyth was not far off the mark with good a header. Even this early pace was fast and furious and in four minutes Dundee's Fleming was booked for a foul on Gavine.

Two minutes later Mackie found space on the right but his cross was flicked into Lister's arms by Fletcher.

At the other end Yule sent over a good cross which Geddes clutched with no one challenging.

It was end-to-end stuff and in 12 minutes Geddes again did well to stop a Shaw header from a Kydd free kick.

But Dundee hit back and Schaedler was only inches wide with a great effort from just outside the box.

In 21 minutes Sinclair had the ball in the net after a neat through ball from Scott, but the big striker was clearly offside.

But it was nonetheless encouraging to see both teams making a real cup-tie of it, and the big crowd was certainly lapping it up.

And in 25 minutes, the Dundee fans began rejoicing as their team went 3-0 up on aggregate.

Mackie cut the left side of the Arbroath defence to ribbons and his cross was powered home by SINCLAIR. That was just the boost the Dark Blues wanted and in 28 minutes Fleming watched his glancing header from a Shirra cross hit the post and bounce clear.

In 32 minutes, McKenzie was booked for a foul on Fletcher and a minute later Shirra wasted a glorious opportunity to seal things, when he headed over the bar from ten yards' range. Arbroath were trying hard to get among the goals, but in 36 minutes Shaw and Gavine got in a fankle going for Kydd cross and a McLaren was content to boot the ball clear.

Arbroath defence, how ever, was looking suspect and twice in quick succession Lister foiled Fletcher with brilliant saves, the first from a close range drive and the other from a header.

Dundee were beginning to show the sort of football their fans have come to ex pect and five minutes from the interval, Rylance sent a Schaedler cross for a corner with Mackie waiting to cash in.

Scott then had a marvel lou run which saw the ball nipped off his toes as he prepared to shoot. A minute from the interval Sinclair had a chance to wrap it all up, but Lister earned his corn with a brilliant stop.

Half-time Arbroath 0, Dundee 1.

Reflections-Apart from one or two early raids by Arbroath, there has only been one team in it. Dundee have turned on the style throughout the first half and thoroughly deserve their lead. Their play has shown there is quite a gap between the Second and First Divisions.

Arbroath resumed with T. Mylles on in place of Gavine.

But it was Dundee who started where they left off and Lister did well to get to a low drive from McGeachie.

With 50 minutes gone, Dundee sent on Murphy for the injured Sinclair, who received a great ovation from the Dundee support.

Arbroath were struggling to get going and in 54 minutes Dundee struck again. A terrible mix-up between Lister, T. Mylles and Downie saw FLETCHER taking full advantage, poking the ball home from four yards. I

Immediately, Arbroath substituted Yule with new signing Jim Donald.

Two minutes later, Fletcher sent Fleming clear on the right, and again Lister had to save the day, pulling the ball from the air with Shirra and Fletcher in close attendance. Arbroath's reply was an 18-yard shot by Docherty, which posed no problems for Geddes.

A minute later the young 'keeper defied Arbroath again, blocked a Kydd shot and recovering the loose ball before S. Mylles could finish things off. But Dundee roared back and Shirra hooked the ball inches past the post. Then Murphy took a Fleming pass in his stride to send the ball just over the bar.

Arbroath again tried to stem the tide, but Shaw headed wide when a pass to an opponent might have paid better dividends.

With 11 minutes left, Dundee made it 3-0 on the day and 5-0 on aggregate with another goal. MacLAREN let fly from just outside the box and his shot hit a defender spinning over the head of the stranded Lister.

Barr then replaced Mackie for Dundee, minutes before Scott ended another penetrating run with a shot that flew wide of the target.

At the other end Forsyth, one of Arbroath's better players, tried to find a way through but was crowded out by three defenders.

Final Arbroath 0, Dundee 3. (Aggregate 0-5.)

Summing-Up Once Dundee got their noses in front, there was only one team in it. Arbroath's de ficiencies, particularly in defence, were there for all to see. At least Dundee appear to have ended their goal famine.

Squad Statistics (as at August 30th, 1980)

1980-81 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)20 5 - 6 -
Bobby Glennie22 5 - 1062
Stewart MacLaren27 516410
George McGeachie21 5 - 623
Erich Schaedler21 5 - 822
Ian Fleming27 5 - 213
Peter Mackie22 5 - 282
John Fletcher27 33274
Jim Shirra30 5 - 10715
Jocky Scott32 2 - 430154
Eric Sinclair26 3117959
Les Barr (sub)27 4 - 691
Jimmy Murphy (sub)23 5 - 666

League Table (as at August 30th, 1980)

No league table has been added for this season.