Cowdenbeath 1
Dundee 4
League Cup (1st Round 1st Leg)


1 - 4


League Cup (1st Round 1st Leg)
Wednesday, August 29th, 1979
Central Park Stadium
Attendance: 1,551
7:30 PM Kick-off

Jim Liddle (89) Eric Sinclair (7)
Jim Shirra (19)
Eric Sinclair (24)
Ian Redford (pen.) (51)

Team Managers
Unknown. Tommy Gemmell

Starting Eleven
1. Davie Cooper
2. John Ferguson
3. Alan Carpenter
4. George Hunter
5. Bobby Russell
6. Alan Dyce
7. Jimmy Marshall
8. Jim Milne
9. Jim Liddle
10. Brian Ferrie
11. Billy Steele
Ally Donaldson .1
Les Barr .2
Stuart Turnball .3
Stewart MacLaren .4
Bobby Glennie .5
Willie Watson .6
Billy Williamson .7
Jim Shirra .8
Eric Sinclair .9
Ian Redford .10
Jimmy Murphy .11

12. Kane
14. Harley
John Fletcher .12
George McGeachie .14

Kane for Jim Milne (40)
Harley for Billy Steele ( 70)
George McGeachie for Bobby Glennie (59)
John Fletcher for Eric Sinclair (65)

Billy Steele (60)
George Hunter
Stewart MacLaren
Eric Sinclair (44)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

M. Delaney (Airdrie) (Referee)

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Courier.

Dundee gave Cowdenbeath a lesson in finishing at Central Park last night with three goals in the first 24 minutes.

The Dens Parkers got another six minutes after the interval from the penalty spot and although the Fifers fought every inch of the way the best they could do was a Russell goal two minutes from time.

Four players were booked in an entertaining game which was, to a large extent, finished before it got started with Dundee's hat-trick of first half goals.

It took Dundee only seven minutes to go in front through Eric Sinclair. Les Barr caught the Cowden defence on the hop with a long ball to Sinclair and the big fellow drew the keeper out of his goal before shooting.

A good start for Dundee, for whom Redford and Shirra came close to adding to their score within a minute.

Shirra increased their lead in 19 minutes with a simple but well-executed goal.

The Dundee No. 8 started the move with a pass out to Redford on the wing and was right in the middle of the goal to ram home the winger's cross.

Sinclair missed a sitter for Dundee at the far post, but made amends in 24 minutes with his second goal, resulting from a Shirra crossfield pass to Williamson, a return back into the middle and a finely taken first time shot.

Kane replaced Milne in the Cowdenbeath team five minutes from half-time after the No. 8 was injured in a tackle with Turnbull, and before the whistle Sinclair was booked for a foul on Dyce.

Cowdenbeath resumed full of fire and looking for goals, but it was Dundee who were to score again.

In 51 minutes Carpenter downed Sinclair in the box and Redford made it four from the spot, but not before several players were involved in a nasty incident in which fists were raised.

In 59 minutes, Dundee brought on McGeachie for Glennie and a minute later Steele became the second player to be booked for a foul on McLaren.

Dundee brought on Fletcher for Sinclair five minutes later and McLaren tested Donaldson with a powerful header before becoming the third player to be booked for throwing the ball away at a free kick.

The Fifers brought on Harley for Steele and Hunter became the fourth player to be booked when he fouled McLaren. Redford had the ball in the net again for Dundee but was judged offside.

Liddell, two minutes from the end, grabbed some sort of consolation for the Fifers with a cracking shot which showed that at last the home side had learned where the goal was.

Squad Statistics (as at August 29th, 1979)

1979-80 All Time
Ally Donaldson (GK) - 6 - 368 -
Stuart Turnball - 6 - 6 -
Stewart MacLaren - 5 - 296
Les Barr - 6 - 321
Willie Watson - 4 - 43 -
Bobby Glennie - 6 - 612
Billy Williamson - 5 - 7221
Jimmy Murphy - 6 - 252
Jim Shirra - 626710
Ian Redford - 688934
Eric Sinclair - 6313647
George McGeachie (sub)20 1 - 222
John Fletcher (sub)26 6 - 6 -

League Table (as at August 29th, 1979)

No league table has been added for this season.