Dundee 1
Rangers 2
League (Division One)

1 - 2

League (Division One)
Saturday, March 15th, 1975
Dens Park
Attendance: 22,738
3:00 PM Kick-off

Bobby Hutchinson (2)
Tommy McLean (52)
Derek Parlane (83)

Team Managers
David White
Jock Wallace

Starting Eleven
1. Thomson Allan
2. Bobby Wilson
3. Tommy Gemmell
4. Bobby Robinson
5. George Stewart
6. Bobby Ford
7. Wilson Hoggan
8. Bobby Hutchinson
9. Gordon Wallace
10. Jocky Scott
11. Ian Anderson
Stewart Kennedy
Sandy Jardine
John Greig
Bobby McKean
Colin Jackson
Tom Forsyth
Bobby McLean
Colin Stein
Derek Parlane
Alex MacDonald
Quinton Young

12. Alan Gordon
14. Dave Johnston
Alex Miller
Graham Fyffe

None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. Colin Stein (37)
Match Officials

G. B. Smith (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

The Rangers fans in the 22,738 crowd got an early shock when Dundee took the lead in two minutes. A corner on the right swung across goal to Hoggan via Gemmell's head. The winger headed back into the middle where Hutchinson was all on his own. The Dundee No 8 beat one defender and slotted it coolly into the net.

Rangers replied immediately and a Parlane shot took a deflection and skimmed the post. As the first-half developed it was the home side who had the upper hand. The scorer Bobby Hutchinson and midfield man Ian Anderson were their best players. At one point both just failed to connect with a Hoggan cross and the winger himself was fairly prominent in Dundee attacks.

When Rangers did advance they were met with an efficient marking system Gemmell, Stewart and Ford taking Stein, Parlane and McLean respectively.

With Bobby Robinson as sweeper and Allan in goal looking as safe as ever the home side were well in command when the game exploded in 37 minutes.

Colin Stein, playing only his second game for Rangers after rejoining them from Coventry 10 days previously was sent off for the seventh time in Scotland. As he and Tommy Gemmell went for a ball a free-kick was given to Dundee. Stein had words with the referee and was immediately sent packing.

The game had just re-started when fans began to spill on to the pitch. This was a combination of troublesome fans invading the pitch and innocent bystanders getting out of the way of the fighting and flying missiles.

Trouble also broke out behind the Provost Road goal and even the stand was not immune with beer cans flying through the air. The Rangers fans obviously upset at their hero's dismissal chanted Stein's name as the game was held up for four minutes.

Police with dogs had run on to sort out the troublemakers and 18 arrests were made. Several fans were led away on stretchers and even ambulance men and ball boys, were the victims of senseless violence. So much so the ball boys didn't appear for the second half.

The remaining minutes of the first half were notable for two John Greig efforts, an overhead kick and a shot which hit the post.

However, the disgraceful scenes were not quite finished. As the interval approached a fan got on the pitch and made for the referee but was intercepted by a policeman, and as the teams went off at half time something was thrown at Tommy Gemmell.

In the second half Dundee looked a very subdued side, obviously the crowd trouble had affected them. Rangers, on the other hand, displayed all the fighting qualities with which they are normally associated.

It was no surprise therefore when they equalised in 52 minutes. It was a brilliant individual goal from Tommy McLean, who beat Ford, Allan and Gemmell before scoring.

Although it wasn't all Rangers in the second period, they looked the more positive side and went on to clinch the match with seven minutes left.

A Young cross found Parlane on his own and he scored the winner with a fine shot.

Overall the match had been a classic confrontation between the power of Rangers and the skill of Dundee with the visitors' tough tackling and determination winning the day.

The turning point was undoubtedly the sending off and related incidents. Dundee were never the same team afterwards while Rangers as often happens when a side loses a man, buckled down to the task in hand.

For Rangers it was a great day for Celtic went down 1-0 at Parkhead thus creating an eight point gap for the champions elect.

Match report written by David Quinn (Matchday Programme)

Squad Statistics (as at March 15th, 1975)

1974-75 All Time
Thomson Allan (GK)28 41 - 137 -
George Stewart - 3822609
Ian Anderson - 173415
Bobby Wilson31 38 - 38315
Tommy Gemmell31 35 - 862
Bobby Ford25 3521435
Wilson Hoggan26 222222
Bobby Robinson24 40514213
Bobby Hutchinson21 309309
Jocky Scott27 4010394148
Gordon Wallace31 147225106

League Table (as at March 15th, 1975)

No league table has been added for this season.