Dundee 4
Aberdeen 0
Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)

4 - 0

Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)
Saturday, March 8th, 1952
Dens Park
Attendance: 41,000
3:00 PM Kick-off

Ken Ziesing (31)
Billy Steel (51)
Alfie Boyd (pen.) (60)
Billy Steel (82)

Team Managers
George Anderson
Dave Halliday

Starting Eleven
1. Bobby Henderson
2. Gerry Follon
3. Jack Cowan
4. Tommy Gallacher
5. Doug Cowie
6. Alfie Boyd
7. Gerry Burrell
8. Johnny Pattillo
9. Ken Ziesing
10. Billy Steel
11. George Christie
Fred Martin
Davie Shaw
Don Emery
Chris Anderson
Kenny Thomson
Tony Harris
Allan Boyd
Harry Yorston
Ian Rodger
Archie Baird
Tommy Pearson


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

J. A. Mowat (Rutherglen) (Referee)

Match Report

41,000 squeezed into Dens Park In anticipation - this era of Scottish football was one spoilt by incredible crowds across the board. This is underlined by a comment in the Evening Times In October 1952 that Partick's recent 10,000 crowd v Raith "would not pay the rent"-such a crowd now for the equivalent fixture is unthinkable. Dundee enjoyed their highest crowds at this time the average attendance in 1951-2 was 20,500, which was actually down 3,000 on the season before.

The teams, roared on by the massed ranks of noisy fans. wasted no time after kick-off and thrilled the large crowd with their surging runs on the wings and through the middle. Dundee had an early opportunity when Pattillo was bundled off the ball just outside the penalty area. Steel took the kick quickly, catching out the regrouping Dons defence and crossed to Christie whose shot was held by Martin in the Aberdeen goal

Aberdeen hit back and caused Dundee's Henderson some trouble when Pearson was sent through. Henderson smothered the ball at Pearson's feet only to see the ball squirm free-in the chaos Henderson somehow managed to get back up and contain the ball again.

Dundee then started to apply the pressure and Steel worked his magic in beating three players before Thomson saved Aberdeen with a well-timed silding tackle to put the ball out for a corner.

Dundee did break the deadlock soon after when on 31 minutes Steel sent Zeising through on the wing Appeals for off-side were waved away by the officials and Zeising took advantage by rounding the oncoming Aberdeen "keeper but his shot was nearly cleared off the goal line by Emery, who fell over by doing so. Dundee's Burrell rushed in to make sure the ball was in Aberdeen's net but the goal had already been given.

Burrell thought he had added to his tally soon after but his goal was ruled off-side-in a call contemporary match, reports dispute, Dundee had to settle for a single goal lead as a well-contested half came to an end.

The second half started much as the first half ended. Dundee caused the Aberdeen defence all sorts of problems. Steel terrorised the Dons and secured a second goal for Dundee in a 20-yard solo effort, beating Anderson and Shaw in the process.

Dundee were now cruising and when with the keeper beaten, Emery in the Aberdeen defence punched away a Pattillo effort a penalty was awarded to Dundee. Boyd duly converted from the spot and wrapped things up for Dundee.

Not for the first time, Steel had the last word and grabbed his second, and Dundee's fourth before the full time whistle.

On this occasion Aberdeen were outclassed in the North East derby and this was in no small part to the master class put on by Billy Steel. The Glasgow Herald remarked:

"If Messers Reid and Williamson, the two International team selectors who attended the Dens Park cup-tie, had any doubts about the inside-left position for the match at Hampden next month they must surely have none after seeing Steel's performance against Aberdeen.

Both in Individual brilliance and in fear sense Steel dominated the game and deserved the remarkable avation he was given at the end

The international game in question was the Scotland England game at Hampden. but unfortunately Steel was unable to take part and he was desperately missed, the Evening Times, when reporting Scotland's 2-1 loss said:

Our Inside men: Johnstone and McMilian, were too easily brushed aside. The Airdrie boy was always a trier but we did need a Steel."

Billy was just as invaluable for his country as well as his club. however Dundee was blessed with more than just Steel and by the time of the Dons Scottish Cup game had already won the League Cup. The Herald acknowledged this:

"Despite Steel's masterly display of ball control this was, however by no means a Dundee team of one star and ten other players."

With the League Cup in the bag, Dundee would go on to reach the final of the Scottish Cup as well. However, even this great Dundee side could not prevent wandering minds and their lapses were punished in a cathartic, second forty-five in the final Motherwell would hit Dundee with, not one but, two quick-fire braces and run out 4-0 winners

Nevertheless, in the quarter final at least, Dundee Steel proved stronger than Aberdeen granite. The majority of Dens. Park's third highest ever crowd went home with a spring in their step.

Match report written by Kris Scrimgeour - Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at March 8th, 1952)

1951-52 All Time
Bobby Henderson (GK)34 17 - 17 -
Jack Cowan24 241801
Gerry Follon32 33 - 2092
Alfie Boyd31 34319622
Doug Cowie25 31 - 1451
Gerry Burrell - 7272
Tommy Gallacher29 30 - 1371
Johnny Pattillo37 18916767
Ken Ziesing - 1471910
Billy Steel28 29135921
George Christie - 2974511

League Table (as at March 8th, 1952)

No league table has been added for this season.