Raith Rovers 2
Dundee 2
League (Division One)

Raith Rovers 

2 - 2


League (Division One)
Saturday, August 15th, 2009
Starks Park
Attendance: 4,744
3:00 PM Kick-off

Iain Williamson (30)
Laurie Ellis (41)
Gary Harkins (pen.) (5)
Colin McMenamin (73)

Team Managers
John McGlynn Jocky Scott

Starting Eleven
1. David McGurn
2. Iain Davidson
3. Laurie Ellis
4. Dougie Hill
5. Grant Murray
6. Craig Wilson
7. Stephen Simmons
8. Allan Walker
9. Iain Williamson
10. Graham Weir
11. Grégory Tadé
Tony Bullock .1
Eric Paton .2
Gary Mackenzie .3
Jim Laughlan .4
Eddie Malone .5
Richie Hart .6
Paul McHale .7
Colin Cameron .8
Gary Harkins .9
Sean Higgins .10
Colin McMenamin .11

12. Gary O'Connor
14. Thomas Graham
15. Darren Smith
16. Mark Ferry
17. Lee Bryce
Derek Soutar .12
David Cowan .14
Craig Forsyth .15
Brian Kerr .16
Leigh Griffiths .17

Darren Smith for Stephen Simmons (13)
Mark Ferry for Iain Williamson (79)
Lee Bryce for Graham Weir (91)
Brian Kerr for Richie Hart (62)
Leigh Griffiths for Sean Higgins (67)
Craig Forsyth for Paul McHale (84)

Graham Weir (65)
Iain Williamson (90)
Gary Mackenzie (34)
Eddie Malone (89)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Charlie Richmond (Referee)
Tommy Johnston & Charlie Smith (Assistants)

Match Report

Dundee fought back in the second half to earn a point at Raith Rovers. Gary Harkins gave Dundee the lead with a fifth minute penalty before goals from lain Williamson and Laurie Ellis had the hosts ahead before the break. An improved second half performance saw Dundee have a number of chances before Colin McMenamin grabbed an equaliser. A late chance for Gary Mackenzie was the closest either side game to taking the three points but he turned the ball over from Craig Forsyth's cross.

Dundee lined up with the same starting eleven which gained three points in the opening fixture against Morton last weekend. That meant there was no place for Leigh Griffiths who was rated doubtful after picking up a knock but made it onto the bench. One man who didn't even make the bench was Mickael Antoine Curier who was available for selection after missing out last week due to suspension. Rab Douglas was still missing due to injury which meant Tony Bullock was handed the number one shirt again.

Captain Eric Paton got the first effort of the day away when Dundee were awarded a free kick but it was an easy take for Rovers keeper David McGum in the end. Minutes later though Dundee did take the lead.

Gary Harkins who has impressed in every outing for Dundee so far this season showed his class again as he danced into the box before being brought down by Stephen Simmons and referee Charlie Richmond pointed to the spot. Harkins dusted himself down before sending McGurn the wrong way for his first league goal for Dundee.

Simmons and Eddie Malone both went into a challenge shortly after the restart and although the Dundee man looked to have come worse off it was the ex Hearts man who needed to be replaced. Raith brought on Darren Smith in his place.

Dundee kept the ball well but didn't threaten McGurn's goal again until Harkins tried his luck from a free kick from wide left. It was another easy take for the Raith number one however.

The home side came back into the game slowly and after efforts from lain Davidson and sub Smith both flew wide Raith were back level. Graham Weir turned Jim Lauchlan on the half way line and moved it quickly out to Smith on the left.

The substitute didn't waste any time either and his low ball was turned into the net from lain Williamson.

Raith took confidence from that and were on top for the remaining time of the first period. Davidson and Smith both as efforts which Bullock held before they broke through again to go ahead.

A corner to the back post was headed down by Dougie Hill and after bouncing in the area it fell to Laurie Ellis who wasted no time putting it beyond Bullock to give the Starks Park side the lead.

Despite Raith having most of the positive play at this time Dundee did have one more chance before the half time whistle. Former Rovers man Colin Cameron found himself in space in the box but his shot was blocked.

Dundee fans were left hoping for a more impressive second half display like last weekend and it did come but the early signs weren't good. Smith robbed Paton of the ball wide left of the box and when the first half sub found Gregory Tade the striker should have done better but he fired over.

The first chance of the half for The Dees came when Richie Hart broke from midfield and found McMenamin wide left. He cut back on himself before curling a shot wide of the far post. That wasn't quite the start of Dundee pressure as Raith had a great chance to go two up.

Impressive sub Smith was on the ball again and almost caught out Bullock with a dipping shot but the keeper did brilliantly to push the ball behind. Minutes later it was Harkins again showing his impressive skills which resulted in a chance for McMenamin which he surely still can't believe didn't end up in the back of the net

Harkins got the ball on the edge of the box and with a chip beat McGun but it came back off the bar. The ball headed for McMenamin and seemed to hit him rather than the other way around but few in the stadium could believe it when the ball ended up wide instead of in the empty net.

Jocky Scott threw on two substitutes as Dundee chased the game with firstly Brian Kerr replacing Richie Hart and then Leigh Griffiths coming on for Sean Higgins. In between the changes McMenamin headed over from a Paul McHale cross as Dundee got closer to leveling.

A great move soon after saw Harkins cross behind McMenamin but the striker couldn't connect with a overhead effort. The striker did finally hit the net though and it was again Harkins who was the provider.

A quick kick out from Bullock found the ex Partick man wide left and he headed down the left before drilling it low across to McMenamin to place past McGurn and draw Dundee level.

Harkins was next to come close when the roles were reversed and McMenamin turned provider. He cut it back to Harkins who had two attempts at slotting the ball away but Raith's defence held up well and cleared the danger.

Raith did still have some chances and Smith again was a threat to the Dundee defence when he curled a shot which was deflected just past Bullock's post. Dundee made one more change with Craig Forsyth replacing Paul McHale and the young winger was involved in Dundee's final chance to snatch the points.

He crossed low from the left after a free kick was headed away and defender Gary Mackenzie turned the ball over after sliding in. It was a chance that could easily have given Dundee their first away win of the season at the first time of asking but they could have been leaving with less as Rovers had a late push.

Bullock was called into action when Allan Walker flighted a free kick over and he had to push the ball behind but only just. From the resulting corner Forsyth headed clear and the referee brought the end to an exciting match which in the end could have gone either way.

A point in the end was not a disaster by any means and despite moving back to the top of the table on goal difference Dundee could easily be sitting a couple of points clear at the top of the divison tonight.

Match report written by Tommy Young - Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at August 15th, 2009)

2009-10 All Time
Tony Bullock (GK)37 3 - 3 -
Eric Paton30 3 - 374
Jim Laughlan32 3 - 20 -
Eddie Malone24 3 - 692
Gary Mackenzie23 2 - 841
Richie Hart31 3 - 3 -
Gary Harkins24 3232
Paul McHale27 3 - 724
Colin Cameron36 3 - 12 -
Colin McMenamin28 334717
Sean Higgins24 3232
Craig Forsyth (sub)20 2 - 6 -
Brian Kerr (sub)27 3 - 3 -
Leigh Griffiths (sub)18 3131

League Table (as at August 15th, 2009)

No league table has been added for this season.