Stirling Albion 1
Dundee 2
Challenge Cup (Quarter-Final)

Stirling Albion 

1 - 2


Challenge Cup (Quarter-Final)
Sunday, September 6th, 2009
Forthbank Stadium
Attendance: 1,277
3:00 PM Kick-off

Stewart Devine (pen.) (89) Leigh Griffiths (10)
Leigh Griffiths (26)

Team Managers
Allan Moore Jocky Scott

Starting Eleven
1. Scott Christie
2. Andy Graham
3. Sean Roycroft
4. Scott Robertson
5. Stewart Devine
6. Ross Forsyth
7. Craig Young
8. Andy Gibson
9. John O'Neill
10. Martin Grehan
11. David McKenna
Tony Bullock .1
Eric Paton .2
Gary Mackenzie .3
Kyle Benedictus .4
Eddie Malone .5
Richie Hart .6
Maroš Klimpl .7
Brian Kerr .8
Gary Harkins .9
Leigh Griffiths .10
Colin McMenamin .11

12. Myles Hogarth
14. Paul Murphy
15. Ross McCord
16. Nathan Taggart
17. Michael Mullen
Bobby Geddes .12
Jim Laughlan .14
Darren Young .15
Craig Forsyth .16
Pat Clarke .17

Ross McCord for Scott Robertson (70)
Nathan Taggart for Andy Gibson (70)
Michael Mullen for Craig Young (76)
Jim Laughlan for Kyle Benedictus (25)
Craig Forsyth for Gary Mackenzie (65)
Pat Clarke for Richie Hart (85)

Martin Grehan (60)
John O'Neill (73)
Ross Forsyth (81)
Gary Mackenzie (64)
Maroš Klimpl (88)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

E. Norris (Referee)

Match Report

Any hopes that Dundee might have an easy time of it were dispelled in the first few minutes as Albion tore into Dundee and exposed our frailties in defence. Grehan ran clear and rounded Bullock, but the angle was too tight for a shot and his cutback produced a scramble that was ended by Eddie Malone clearing off the line. Ross Forsyth then caused more alarm with a great run into the area that had the Dee defence backpedalling furiously to clear their lines.

The opening goal was at the other end, however, and against the run of play. Richie Hart challenged for a bouncing ball, 35 yards out on the right. The ball luckily pinged clear, leaving Leigh Griffiths with a clear run in on goal. The young striker was onto the ball in a moment, never looked like missing and slipped the ball past the advancing keeper. A goal out of nothing, it must have been a sickener for the Stirling players after their impressive start.

Dundee now started to look much more dangerous in possession. With the home side still a constant threat the game settled into an entertaining end to end affair, with both defences struggling to contain the lively attackers.

After 19 minutes David McKenna chased a through ball and went in heavily on Tony Bullock, who required lengthy treatment. Although he was able to continue, the first substitution followed shortly when Kyle Benedictus went off seeming to clutch his thigh. Jim Lauchlan went on in a straight swap.

Dundee's nerves were quickly settled with the second goal, following the best move of the game. Eric Paton played a lovely ball inside the right back allowing Richie Hart to race unchallenged into the penalty area. His cutback was perfectly weighted for Leigh Griffiths to drive in his second goal from 12 yards.

Dundee continued to threaten every time they got the ball, with Griffiths outstanding, and looking odds on to collect his hat trick. The unlucky Albion continued to chase the game and rattled the Dee defence without creating any clear chances.

Both teams got warm applause as they left the field at half time after an entertaining 45 minutes, which promised mare goals and entertainment to come. Sadly the second 45 was a disappointment that will have satisfied no-one. Dundee were poor, but for all Albion 's efforts and good attacking they created only a few clear chances. Time and again the let themselves down with hesitation in the penalty area and poor decisions when they seemed likely to score: passing when they should have shot, and shooting when they should have passed.

Dundee's defence was further disrupted on the hour when Gary Mackenzie was whacked in the mouth by Martin Grehan in an aerial challenge. Gary seemed keen to continue, but with blood all over his face it never looked likely. The referee insisted he stayed off the field, and bizarrely he managed to get booked as he walked round the pitch after an incident with an Albion player.

Maros Klimpl dropped back into defence, with Craig Forsyth coming on to play left midfield, and Gary Harkins moving into the centre.

Klimpl had been giving the midfield some much needed steel and cover for the defence, and his move back to defence left the midfield wide open for Stirling to launch attacks. We were unable to hold possession for long, and our play had become disjointed by this stage.

Albion were showing far more urgency and nearly scored when Devine hammered a fierce shot off the inside of the post from a narrow angle, and then forced a good save from Tony Bullock with a drive from the edge of the area.

Pat Clarke came on for his competitive debut after 85 minutes, replacing Hart on the right.

By this time Dundee seemed certain to go through and looked as likely to score a third as Stirling did to pull one back The final goal came at our end after 90 minutes, however, which was some measure of justice for the home side. Martin Grehan should have scored with a close range header, but Tony Bullock pulled off a good reaction save tipping the ball over the bar.

As the comer came over the referee whistled, indicated that Maros Klimpl had elbowed his man, pointed to the spot and booked Klimpl. Devine hammered the penalty down the middle to give Albion their richly deserved goal, but it was far too late for thern and Dundee saw out injury time comfortably.

There were very few positive aspects to this game for Dundee apart from the result Leigh Griffiths was outstanding in the first half. Maros Klimpl was imposing and will clearly be an asset. Tony Bullock had very good itch, considering his injury, Paton, Ken, Hart and Harkins looked good coming forward, but like the rest were far less comfortable when Stirling had the ball. Colin McMenamin had one of those games where the ball wasn't falling kindly for him, but he tried his best to make things happen, and was a constant nuisance to the home defence.

However, it was Stirling Albion who deserve the plaudits from this match. Deservedly, they got the loudest applause at the final whistle.

They will be very frustrated they didn't get more out of this match. Dundee will just be relieved to get through after an erratic first half and a second half performance that was nowhere near an acceptable standard.

The injuries to defenders were worrying, however. Presumably Bullock's isn't too serious, given that he was allowed to continue, Gary Mackenzie's knock in the face locked painful, but the damage was probably largely cosmetic. Kyle Benedictus's early departure was worrying.

Hopefully it was just a precaution, and that Dundee's rather fortunate victory hasn't come at a high price.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at September 6th, 2009)

2009-10 All Time
Tony Bullock (GK)37 8 - 8 -
Gary Mackenzie23 4 - 861
Kyle Benedictus17 5 - 17 -
Maroš Klimpl29 1 - 1 -
Eddie Malone24 7 - 732
Eric Paton31 7 - 414
Richie Hart31 6 - 6 -
Gary Harkins24 8585
Brian Kerr27 8 - 8 -
Colin McMenamin28 745118
Leigh Griffiths19 8585
Jim Laughlan (sub)32 8 - 25 -
Craig Forsyth (sub)20 5 - 9 -
Pat Clarke (sub)24 1 - 1 -

League Table (as at September 6th, 2009)

No league table has been added for this season.