Dundee 2
Ayr United 1
Scottish Cup (Fifth Round)

2 - 1
Ayr Utd 

Scottish Cup (Fifth Round)
Saturday, February 6th, 2010
Dens Park
Attendance: 2,852
3:00 PM Kick-off

Ben Hutchinson (4)
Leigh Griffiths (70)
Tam McManus (11)

Team Managers
Jocky Scott
Brian Reid

Starting Eleven
1. Robert Douglas
2. Eric Paton
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Jim Laughlan
5. Eddie Malone
6. Gary Harkins
7. Maroš Klimpl
8. Brian Kerr
9. Craig Forsyth
10. Leigh Griffiths
11. Ben Hutchinson
Craig Samson .1
Andy Aitken .2
Martyn Campbell .3
Ryan McGowan .4
Dean Keenan .5
Kenny Connolly .6
William Easton .7
Ryan Borris .8
Alistair Woodburn .9
Mark Roberts .10
Tam McManus .11

12. Derek Soutar
14. Richie Hart
15. Andrew Shinnie
16. Darren Young
17. Colin McMenamin
Stephen Grindlay .12
Jonathan Tiffoney .14
Kevin Cawley .15
Aaron Connolly .16
Junior Mendes .17

Colin McMenamin for Ben Hutchinson (41)
Andrew Shinnie for Leigh Griffiths (70)
Junior Mendes for Alistair Woodburn (80)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Dougie McDonald (Referee)
Keith Sorbie & Alasdair Ross (Assistants)
Steven McLean (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Dundee made four changes from the D team that lost the top of the table clash with Ross County a week ago. Transfer deadline loan signing Ben Hutchinson came into the starting line up along with Leigh Griffiths in attack. Gary Mackenzie also returned to the side after missing league action due to suspension and Maros Klimpl came in for his first start since the 3-2 win over Dunfermline back in January.

Visitors Ayr had ex Dee Tam McManus starting his first game for the club but had one big player missing out in captain Kevin James who picked up a knock last week. Both sides were strangely wearing their away kits and Dundee kicked off shooting towards the Bobby Cox Stand in a 4-4-2 formation. It was the Honest Men who started the bright though and were on the attacking right from the off.

They won a couple of corner but couldn't make them count as Rab Douglas showed his presence early coming to collect. The pressure then swung up the other end in much the same manor as Dundee won a few comers.

Ex Dundee keeper Craig Samson commanded his area as Douglas had before coming out but he chose to punch which was just as effective as Ayr cleared the danger. On one occasion the ball did get played back in and Mackenzie cushioned it down only for Gary Harkins to curl his effort over the bar.

Alistair Woodburn dipped a shot wide of Douglas' post but it wasn't to be long before Dundee were behind. Slack defending saw Ryan Borris played in and with space in the box he cut his cross from the left hand side back into the path of McManus who side footed the ball into the net despite Eddie Malone's best attempt to throw himself at it. McManus who had been getting a bit of stick showed how much to meant to him as he celebrated with his new team mates.

Dundee tried to drag themselves back level and it was new loan signing Hutchinson who battled his way through the Ayr defence but was falling when he finally got a shot in and it was easy take for Samson. it was then Douglas who was again called into action to keep the score at 1-0.

Jim Lauchlan headed out a Ayr cross from the right but it fell to Mark Roberts who curled his shot at goal and the Dundee keeper was at full stretch to push the shot away. From the resulting corner Douglas almost saw his good work go to waste as he dropped the comer but Alistair Woodbum couldn't find a way through all the bodies in the area.

The home side should then have made it level Griffiths broke free on the left following a quick clearance. With only one defender and Harkins busting a gut to get forward, the striker chose the unselfish option and squared it to Harkins who had time to take a touch but curled his shot wide.

Ayr tried to play the ball long a couple of time but Douglas was alert coming to collect more than once and getting to the ball first each time. Dundee then upped the pressure as they went searching for an equaliser. Malone was first to have a go when a corner was only cleared as far as him on the edge, his shot was blocked though and shortly after Brian Kerr saw a shot fly well wide.

Eric Paton had an effort when a corner was cleared and sat up for him to try on the volley, Ayr headed it away though but it wasn't too be long until Dundee did finally find the net. Leigh Griffiths charged down the ball and when the ball came off him he raced in behind.

One on one with Samson he shot low and the ex Dundee keeper saved but the ball fell to Hutchinson who side footed into the net

Minutes later and it almost got even better for Dundee as Harkins curled a free kick across and Griffiths flick on hit the bar before flying over. The score stayed the same until the break and it was Dundee who were probably the happier of the two at this stage after going behind.

The first half started with Harkins firing a shot over from 30 yards out and there was little action the next period of play as neither side troubled the opposing keeper.

When a chance did come it was Dundee who made Samson work. Griffiths picked it up on the edge and hit a low shot which Samson did save but incoming Craig Forsyth couldn't reach the rebound and Ayr cleared. An unsavory moment soon followed with some of the traveling fans getting involved with the police. The game carried on though and the troubled seemed to end as Dundee took the lead.

A Dundee corner was cleared and when played out wide a free kick was awarded to The Dees. Harkins went for goal and Samson pushed away but it hit striker Griffiths and rolled into the net. It was a goal that Dundee's top scorer didn't know much about but counted all the same.

Dundee looked more likely to grab the next goal and put the game to bed. First up, Hutchinson's shot from the edge of the area was held by Samson and Mackenzie headed a comer goal bound Ayr cleared off the line to deny the returning Dundee defender a goal he would have enjoyed against his former team mate Samson.

Both sides then changed it up with Dundee replacing both goalscorers with Colin McMenamin and Andrew Shinnie coming on and Ayr bringing on Junior Mendes as the hunted for a way back into the match.

Three minutes injury time was signal by the fourth official but despite Dundee fans having some nail biting moments as their side held onto the ball another goal wasn't to come for Ayr and the referee blew the final whistle and saw Dundee into the Quarter Final of the Scottish Cup.

Match report written by Tommy Young - Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at February 6th, 2010)

2009-10 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)37 15 - 186 -
Maroš Klimpl29 15 - 15 -
Gary Mackenzie24 2511072
Eric Paton31 32 - 664
Jim Laughlan33 26 - 43 -
Eddie Malone24 322984
Craig Forsyth20 285325
Gary Harkins25 31143114
Brian Kerr28 30 - 30 -
Leigh Griffiths19 30193019
Ben Hutchinson22 1111
Andrew Shinnie (sub)20 2 - 231
Colin McMenamin (sub)28 2977321

League Table (as at February 6th, 2010)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Today we turn our attention away from the League to the Scottish Cup.

Our opponents Ayr United are no strangers to us having already played them twice this season. So we know what to expect from them, unlike our last opponents Livingston who we didn't get the opportunity to watch due to the weather.

Brian Reid and his staff have done a good job with Ayr United. Both games have been very competitive and I don't see this cup tie being any different.

Both Clubs will be keen to have a run in the Scottish Cup and I think this will be reflected in the play.

As in every home game your support is needed and appreciated. Enjoy the game!