Dundee 1
Queen of the South 1
League (Division One)

1 - 1
Queen of South 

League (Division One)
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,508
7:45 PM Kick-off

Leigh Griffiths (pen.) (16)
Robert Harris (58)

Team Managers
Gordon Chisholm
Kenny Brannigan

Starting Eleven
1. Tony Bullock
2. Eric Paton
3. Craig McKeown
4. Bob Malcolm
5. Eddie Malone
6. Andrew Shinnie
7. Brian Kerr
8. Maros Klimpl
9. Gary Harkins
10. Leigh Griffiths
11. Colin McMenamin
David Hutton .1
David Lilley .2
Marc McAusland .3
Bob Harris .4
Craig Reid .5
Stephen McKenna .6
Jamie Adams .7
Paul Burns .8
Rocco Quinn .9
Willie McLaren .10
Derek Holmes .11

12. Derek Soutar
14. Sean Higgins
15. Ben Hutchinson
16. Richie Hart
17. Colin Cameron
Scott Fox .12
Neil Scally .14
Joe Hamill .15
Shaun O'Connor .16
David Weatherston .17

Sean Higgins for Colin McMenamin (62)
Richie Hart for Maros Klimpl (69)
Ben Hutchinson for Andrew Shinnie (79)
Joe Hamill for Ivica Vrdoljak (51)
Shaun O'Connor for Derek Holmes (67)
David Weatherston for Rocco Quinn (77)

Leigh Griffiths (37)
Bob Malcolm (45)
David Lilley (37)
Willie McLaren (41)
Jamie Adams (64)
Bob Harris (80)

Red Cards
None. Marc McAusland (16)
Match Officials

Mike Tumilty (Referee)
James Bee & Mark McHendry (Assistants)

Match Report

Dundee's poor run continued tonight when the 1-1 draw with Queen of the South meant that the Dee have taken just three points from their last four games. However, if the result was disappointing, the performance was a big improvement on recent displays.

Dundee played more good football tonight than we have seen for a few months. If there had been greater composure with the final ball into the box, and the finishing, we would have seen a comfortable win.

New boss Gordon Chisholm made three changes after Saturday's dismal defeat at Airdrie. Tony Bullock replaced Rab Douglas in goal. Eric Paton and Leigh Griffiths returned from suspension, replacing Gary Mackenzie and Ben Hutchinson.

The game got off to a slow start with Dundee having most of the play, without seriously threatening the Queens' goal. However, it was the visitors who should have taken the lead when McLaren reached the byline and drove the ball across the goalmouth. Quinn met the ball on the volley only a couple of yards out. Instead of hammering the ball into the net, astonishingly he managed to dolly the ball into the hands of the grateful Bullock

Dundee took full advantage of the let off, taking the lead after 15 minutes. McKenna's careless backpass was picked up by Griffiths, who was then held back by McAusland before he could shoot. The referee duly awarded the penalty and sent McAusland off. Dundee had missed their previous two penalties, but this time Griffiths had no problem from the spot.

Surprisingly Queens didn't reshape their team, and tried to take the loss of a central defender in their stride, persisting with a 3-4-2 formation. It was a high risk tactic with so much of the game to go. It nearly backfired on them as Dundee had no trouble finding space as the pressed for a second goal.

Shinnie and Griffiths had excellent spells, and Harkins was a constant menace to the Queens' defence. However, for all the good play and movement outside the box Dundee failed to create any good chances in the remainder of the first half. Time and again they were able to stretch the defence, but the final ball was never good enough.

The second half continued in the same vein, with Queens struggling to contain Dundee, and having great difficulty getting forward to threaten the Dundee goal. When they did manage to launch an attack Brian Kerr was penalised for handball 30 yards out after 57 minutes. Yet again Dundee conceded a goal direct from a free kick, though Harris's curling left foot effort over the wall and wide of Bullock was a cut above the other recent goals.

Dundee responded by maintaining their passing game, probing and stretching the Queens' defence. The best efforts were from around the edge of the box, however. Harkins sent two great efforts flashing just past, and Hart's fierce 30 yard daisy cutter flew through a crowd of players and inches wide. A fine passing move ended with Harkins setting Hart up 15 yards out, but his shot was fractionally too high.

The longer the game went on the more nervous the crowd and the players became. Queen of the South sensed they might be able to pinch a winner on the break as Dundee pressed forward. Weatherston set up O'Connor with a good chance, but he shot tamely wide. In injury time Weatherston cut in from the left and forced a good save from Bullock.

That was just the start of the injury time excitement. Harkins forced a good save from Hutton with a low drive.

Malone's cross from the left was scrambled clear, but the referee pointed to the penalty spot, apparently for a handball by Burns. The Queens' players surrounded the referee, and with the ball already sitting on the spot and Griffiths waiting to shoot, the referee went over to speak to his assistant. After an agonising delay the referee changed his mind and awarded Dundee a corner. That was cleared, but Griffiths still had time to twist into the penalty area and shoot inches wide.

The final whistle was met with great relief by the Queens' players, and equal disappointment by the home side. Queen of the South deserve great credit for the way they were able to keep in the game when it seemed to be running away from them, but Dundee will be furious with themselves that they didn't turn their numerical advantage, their possession and all the space they had into more goals.

This could prove a costly draw for Dundee, but there were still plenty of good points tonight. The quality of passing and movement was far better than in recent games. It was great to see the ball moving sweetly from player to player on its way down the field, instead of being shuffled nervously around like a ticking parcel.

Nevertheless, the uncomfortable fact is that all the good football failed to produce the second goal that would probably have tied the game up. Dundee had the space, the possession and countless opportunities to hurt the Queens defence. Their failure to create good chances for the strikers is a concern. Most of the goal threat was from the edge of the area and came from the midfielders. Griffiths spent too much of the game wide, or dropping deep to pick up the ball. His effort was admirable, but surely his real place should be through the middle on the shoulders of the last defender. He also needs to control his temper. A stricter referee than Mr Tumilty could have sent him off for the way he retaliated when he was

chopped down by Lilley. There's still some way to go before the Dee are back on track. That's not surprising after the blows to the players' confidence over the last few weeks. There were definitely hopeful signs tonight, however.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at March 23rd, 2010)

2009-10 All Time
Tony Bullock (GK) - 20 - 20 -
Maros Klimpl - 19 - 19 -
Eddie Malone24 3821044
Bob Malcolm - 3 - 3 -
Craig McKeown25 3 - 25 -
Eric Paton31 371715
Gary Harkins25 37163716
Andrew Shinnie20 7 - 281
Brian Kerr - 361361
Colin McMenamin29 3477821
Leigh Griffiths19 35203520
Richie Hart (sub) - 26 - 26 -
Ben Hutchinson (sub) - 5151
Sean Higgins (sub)25 245245

League Table (as at March 23rd, 2010)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Tonight I welcome Queen Of The South to Dens as manager of Dundee FC. I would like to thank David Rae and the Board at Palmerston for the opportunity to come here to Dens so quickly and re-iterate what a fantastic club they have down there with many happy memories for me.

Sentiment though will be put aside as we seek to get three points on the board in the chase for promotion. We will all be pulling together to try to get this club back to the SPL which is what everyone here is hoping for. We are focussed totally on achieving that goal and nobody can deny how important this run to the end of the season will be.

All we ask is for your support and backing which we will try to earn on the park. The players are supposed to lift the fans by showing a good effort, a good attitude and playing good football. It's important we all stick together. We all want the same thing, the support, the directors, the staff and the players and that is to get this club back to the top level.

I've had a great welcome back here to Dens Park and hopefully we can build on that tonight and earn your support as we enter this crucial period of the season.